Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The 3 o'clock Syndrome

All right, my shift starts at eight. But before that I have to set up my tools like ten minutes before I clock in. Good luck to me, I'm part of the opening shift. Like I get the first few people who have issues, I mean "issues".
By the time I have my first 15-minute break, I'm a bit dizzy from the calls. It is not easy listening to people's problems, you don't even know them yet they come to you for help. And the hard part is, you have to take them somewhere to get their problem solved. It would be better if you would be able to solve their problem right there and then. It would give you a sense of achievement, a sense of fulfilment.
Midnight arrives, I take my lunch. I'm not dizzy anymore, I'm drunk. Drunk of all the problems people have, drunk from all the information coming into my head, and drunk most of all from the information coming out of my head.
And the hardest part comes. The 3 o'clock syndrome. What happens on the 3 o'clock syndrome? I get booted out of my cubicle. I have nothing to do. I get to stay on the coffee lounge, thinking about all the problems I handled, thinking if I have taken them to the proper places. That's what bums me the most. Dammit.
Good thing I have my cigarette, my coffee mug, my lighter. And the fresh mountain breeze. It suits me well amidst all the pressure. Then I won't have to worry no more.

5 comments:

kaiyenski said...

are you sort of like an on-call shrink? what kind of problems do these people have? do you have to take it personally or would it be okay to let it roll off your back? just wondering...

radiosondes said...

hello.. napadaan lang.. unsa diay imong trabaho? nurse? doctor?

mawixs said...

bwahahaha
murag interesting kaau akong job noh? call center agent poh... kaya problems ng mga tao akong i-handle. ty for dropping anywayz!

kaiyenski said...

ah, oki. customer service/support. so, what does your company sell?

mawixs said...

hmm just the largest software company in the world. trivial ra kaau dba?